srimathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srimadh varavaramunayE nama:
sri vAnAchala mahAmunayE nama:
yath katAkshaika lakshyANam sulabha: srIdharas sadhA
யத் கடாக்ஷைக லக்ஷ்யாணாம் ஸுலப: ஸ்ரீதரஸ் ஸதா
- 4000 dhiyva prabhandham - He has written vyAkyAnams for all of aruLicheyal. vyAkyAnams of approximately 400 pAsurams for periyAzhwAr thirumozhi was lost and mAmunigaL just wrote those missing pAsura vyAkyAnams.
- sthOthra granthams - He has written vyAkyAnams for pUrvAchArya srisUkthis like sthOthra rathna, chathu slOki, gadhya thryayam, etc and jithanthE sthOthram.
- sri rAmAyaNam - He has selected important slOkams from sri rAmAyaNam and written a detailed commentary for those in rAmAyaNa thani slOki. He was named abhaya pradha rAjar for his masterful explanation of vibhIshaNa sharanAgathi episode.
maNavALa mAmunigaL in his upadhEsa rathina mAlai dedicates two pAsurams specifically to periyavAchAn piLLai.
Simple Translation: It is due to periyavAchAn piLLai's commentaries for aruLicheyal, the great teachers are able to understand and propagate the true meanings of aruLicheyal. Without these vyAkyAnams, no one can speak about the inner meanings of aruLicheyal.
- When some asks if we are target of emperumAn's krupai or leelai - periyavAchAn piLLai says "if we think that we are caught in this samsAram, we are target of emperumAn's krupai and if we think that we are happy in this samsAram, we are target of emperumAn's leelai".
- When some one asks what does pArathanthriya mean? periyavAchAn piLLai says that depending fully on emperumAn's sakthi, completely giving up upAyAntharams (including self efforts) and ever longing for bhagavath kainkarya mOksham is pArathanthriyam.
- When some one asks what is upAyam? Is it us giving up everything or holding on to him? periyavAchAn piLLai says that both are not upAyam it is emperumAn who made us give up everything and hold on to him is the upAyam.
- Once when bandhu of periyavAchAn piLLai is worried and he asks for the reason. She says she is very worried since she has been in this samsAram since anAdhi kAlam and with so much karma how emperumAn will give her mOksham. For that periyavAchAn piLLai says, we are emperumAn's property and he will take us when he wants to irrespecitve of our karmas.
- When a srivaishnava finds fault in another srivaishnava, periyavAchAn piLLai says that yaman is asking his servants to move away from srivaishnavas without looking at their faults, piAtti says "na kaschin na aparAdhyathi" - dont look at anyone's faults, perumAL says even if my bhakthas do mistakes it is good only, AzhwAr says who ever emperumAn's bhakthas are, they have to be praised. So sarcastically he says, some one needs to say the faults in srivaishnavas and let that some one be this person who finds faults in the other person.
- During a discussion about the greatness about bhAgavathas, some one starts speaking about emperumAn and periyavAchAn piLLai says why speak sAmAnya vishyam (general matters) when speaking about visEsha vishayam (special matters).
- periyavAchAn piLLai says every srivaishnava must have involvement in aruLicheyal.
- and so on.